Friday, November 23, 2012

Black...Thursday?



How many of you braved the crowds and decided to do some Black Friday shopping?  My mom and I have gone almost every year.  Things have been different the past couple years though.  Black Friday is turning into Thursday.  Stores typically open in the wee hours of the morning on the day after Thanksgiving known as Black Friday. But Black Friday openings have crept earlier and earlier over the past few years. Now, stores from Walmart to Toys R Us are opening their doors on Thanksgiving evening, hoping Americans will be willing to shop soon after they finish their pumpkin pie.  Wal-Mart Stores Inc. had early bird shopping specials at 8 p.m., two hours earlier than last year. Target opened its doors at 9 p.m. on the holiday, three hours earlier than last year. Sears, which didn't open on Thanksgiving last year, opened from 8 p.m. and stayed open until 10 p.m. on Black Friday. And Toys R Us will opened at 8 p.m., an hour earlier than last year.  I actually like it being on Thursday a lot better.  I'm not a morning person and getting up at 4 a.m. in previous years was not fun!  With it being on Thursday, I'm way more excited about getting out and dealing with the enormous crowds.  Walmart is always our first stop.  Every year I get the local newpaper on Thursday and after dinner my mom and I scour through the pages and plan our shopping trip.  So, just like every year I was anxious to see what Walmart's Black Friday ad contained.  I decided I was going to go for the PS3 they were offering for $199 as a Christmas present for my son.  I ended up being third in line and got one of the 16 systems they had to offer.  I was elated!  We decided to stick around and try for an iPad at the 10:00 event and we were able to get that too!  I was even able to find some $10 PS3 games in a bin after I got my big items.  It was a very successful trip this year.  Actually, we always have really good luck getting what we want at Walmart on Black Friday..errr, Thursday, I guess.   

No comments:

Post a Comment